Sunday, December 3, 2006

Tikona - An Adventure of misadventures

What would you call someone who was so very eager to something and when he actually gets to do it, he changes his mind! Well you call him Dnyanesh perhaps.

It all started with one of my friends getting bored of work and desperately wanting to move out. As a nature freak I suggested Tikona, Nane ghat and few other options. Things were well till Friday, when suddenly (well not suddenly) things seems to change course. And as usual everyone stated citing reasons to stay away from the trek. Now, I do not want to state that they were just excuses, some genuine reasons to stay away as well. But, once decided to move out how could I stay home and do nothing all Sunday. So I decided to do a little adventure of trekking on an unknown place alone. And Tikona fort was the destination I chose.

Like all anxious nights before the trek I dint sleep till about 2 am . Finally I slept for around 3 hours before stating off for my journey. I boarded the Deccan express at 7.35 am from Dadar. The train journey was a wonderful experience in itself with the morning sun lighting up the wet grasslands and the sunlight shimmering on those monsoon waterfalls embedded all over the Shayadri mountain faces. As we came closer the Lonavala the mist and fog stated playing hide and seek and with us as it hid the scenic beauty of the meadows below. I alighted at Lonavala and within 5 minutes I got an local train to Kamseth just a 20 minutes journey. I chatted a little with a local farmer at the S.T. stand and realized that I was going to commit some mistake by going alone. He told me it was slippery and lot of mud has been sliding down the hill side in the previous down pour. However I took the bus to Kale colony and from there packed in a jeep like sardines we moved towards Tikona Peth.

Just as I alighted the jeep driver pointed to a fairly motor able path running perpendicular to the road going eastwards. The atmosphere was pleasant and motivation was high. I arranged my bag, took out my camera, mobile and compass (which I am so thankful I carried). I followed the road and within 10 minutes the fort was in sight. Well! Not exactly in sight but the hill was visible and the fort was covered with mist. I followed the road along the hillside and I wondered when do I start to climb the hill? I was just circling the hill and then I went well past ahead of the fort. But some local over friendly guide insisted that it was the right path. As I reached the other end of the hill I saw a narrow trail climbing up the mountain and I was definite that it could not be anywhere else but leading to the fort.

The trail was narrow but manageable. Not slippery but little scary because it was on the edge of the hill and a valley besides it. But that dint last long and I ventured deeper into the thicket. As I went deeper inside the silence became louder and I had to rub my ears to realize that it was actually silent. And suddenly I realized that it definitely is not going to be a cake walk all the way alone on the top. Now other that the fear of high places another fear of loneliness started gripping me tight. Being in the city you never realize how scary it is to be alone in an unknown place. As I moved further the mist started getting denser and I started to lose visibility of the ground below. All I could see was around me, nothing below nothing above. Just a few meters ahead and behind me. On a regular trek it would be a point of excitement but today was a different day, and I was here to live that day all alone. I am not ashamed to admit that I was scared to death because of the fear of being alone. On climbing for 20 minutes more I met two villages who were grazing their cattle. To get a brief idea of what lied ahead I asked them for the estimated time I would take to reach on top and if I could expect any company on top , as in if any more people had gone ahead of me. And to my delight they said I was the first one today! I was told that it would be another 45 minutes of climb to the top and to be aware while climbing down the steps on top.

Now I was on the final phase of reaching the top when something struck me to check my compass. I was walking towards the west; towards the north was Powna dam. And towards north-west was the road I started from. Making a mental note of which direction I am heading I started climbing further. I reached a place where I saw no trail, al I saw was mud flow and I could see some trail around 30 feet above me. I looked around but it seemed mud had slipped down and I had no other option but to go through that mud. I put my first step and my entire shoe was dipped in the muck. Next step and I am ankle deep in the mud. I put pressure on the leg to climb the nest step up and I realized that I am not reaching ahead without a mud bath. And with my hands and feet soaked in sticky mud I moved ahead just thanking that it was just a short patch. But my thanks giving was short lived as the mist became denser and my visibility now to just a few feet. I reached a spot where I could see all the three faces of the hill and things around me were better. But that was the last time I saw the village in the next 3 hours of turmoil that followed.

I finally reached the east gate of the fort. It was well hidden till I reached around 20 feet from it. I thought finally I will get to see open ground where I can lay back and rest for some time and enjoy the weather rather than worrying about the visibility. But nature had its own way and now added with the visibility I started feeling the chill and my teeth almost began to clatter has the rain hit me. Even with the poncho the cold air was way too much for my ears to handle and it gave me a severe chill. The bushes were even more dense on the fort and I had to bend down to find my way beneath the 4 feet archway made by the Karvy plants. After waling for 15 minutes under the archway and bending my back I reached an idol of Hanuman with shendur applied all over it making it obvious that it was a regularly visited place. Feeling that I am close to the still invisible top of the fort I walked briskly. And next what I saw was the cave mentioned by others who had visited here. It was a marvelous site. And well located, but in the mist and fog it was looking very scary. I wanted to go inside the cave and have a look but it was little off the trail a few meter away and I actually did not have the courage to go in there to inspect. So giving my respect to the lord and enchanting his name again I moved ahead unwillingly because I wanted to have a look inside but did not have the courage to do it.


Within few minutes I was facing the steps the villager mentioned and I realized what he ment. Each step was just 8 to 10 inches wide and about 15 to 20 inches high. It was around 80 to 100 steps which I had to climb. But I had to literally look straight up because the steps were really steep and I could not resist taking a picture. On my right there was one more cave but it had a water tank in front of it and the cave had no visible access accept to swim through the water. And I had no intentions of daring to do that. So again just enjoying the view I moved ahead. On top I saw another temple of Lord Shiva , with a beautiful flower arrangement surrounding it, seemed like someone had already been there earlier in the morning. Walking about 100 feet more I saw the flag post which was visible to me at the very start of the trek, and it was the top of the fort! Finally I heaved a sigh of relief and a small grin must have crossed my pale and scared face.

Climbing down the same path was none of my intentions its was very scary to walk opposite to the direction to which I wanted to actually go, especially since I could not see the village below. I decided to take a trail I had spotted near the cave with the temple. I climbed down and I started on that trail. And thankfully to my delight after about of 30 minutes of uncertain walking I saw the village I wanted to head to. All it took was around an hour to get down to the motor able road I had started from.

That was the end of my single man adventure to Tikona fort. I think we are planning to go there this November. I would love to revisit it and feel how naïve I was to panic at few times on such a simple trek! I hope you enjoyed my experience, see ya all soon!

No comments: